Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bonnie Butter Cake

I made this on Saturday night, more out of nostalgia and curiosity than anything. It is one of the recipes I made as a kid from my mom's Betty Crocker Cookbook. I used the all purpose flour going for authenticity (we rarely had cake flour at home). Got distracted and forgot to alternate the flour, milk, flour, milk. So it came out a little tougher than my usual cakes. Then I couldn't find my go to chocolate frosting recipe so it waited a little longer than is ideal to be ready to eat. I'll attach the marble cake option which I used, perhaps I've out grown that too.

2/3 c. soft butter
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t. vanilla
3 c. cake flour or 2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/4 milk

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9"layer pans or one 9x13" cake pan. Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Beat 5 minutes, high speed on mixer or by hand. Blend flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in alternately with mil. Use low speed on mixer. Pour into pans. Bake layers 30-40 minutes, cake pan 45-50 minutes. Cool.

If you want to marble the cake...
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 T. warm water
1 T. sugar
1/4 t. soda.

Make Bonnie Butter Cake-except pour on 2/3 of batter into pans. Beat into remaining batter for about 30 sec. a mixture of unsweetened chocolate, melted, warm water, sugar and soda. Pour here and there over light batter. Cut through batter with knife several times for marbled effect.

from Betty Crocker's New Picture Cook Book